Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 7

   So today is day 7 of not smoking, and it is 2 days before to go back to work in the park.  These last 6 days have been interesting.   The first 3 days there were tears, twitchy sleep and crazy dreams.  The last 3 days have been forgetting about it for minutes at a time.  It is not the very first thought on my mind each day and it is not the very last thing I think about before sleep.  I am feeling good.  I feel proud of myself.
   Yesterday I was angry at a situation I was in and thought at one point, if I only had a cigarette.  My rational side took over and I knew that if I smoked I would still be pissed off at the situation and on top of that I would be angry that I smoked.  That is my rational side.
   I am not always rational.  I have thoughts like, if I get through the winter season in Yellowstone (3 months long) I should have a cigarette and then see if I am really addicted to it and if I am not I can be one of the smokers who only smoke a couple of cigarettes a month.  I also have thoughts like,  I should have just one drag and if it really tastes that bad then I am not a smoker any more.  That is my irrational side.
   I am glad that my rational side has been louder this first week.  I will continue to listen to it.  And when my irrational side starts getting louder that my rational side I have a great backup system in place.  It is my family.  It is my friends.  I am happy to be at day 7 and looking forward to day 8.

2 comments:

  1. Your irrational side scares me! I am going to feed your rational side lots of steaks and protein shakes so that it gets really big and strong and LOUD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rational side! Rational side! Rational side! Rational side! Rational side! Rational side! Rational side! Rational side! Rational side!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOO RATIONAL SIDE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete